Mixed Vegetable Pirattal
This is a chetti veetu recipe I learnt from my MIL.She says that it is usually made on weekends, when you have small quantities of many vegetables remaining (kind of similar to aviyal).You can say that it is a spicy version of aviyal.This goes very well with rasam.You can also serve it as curry along with white rice,idly or dosa.
Mixed Vegetable Pirattal:
3-4 cups mixed vegetables cut into cubes
1 cup fresh butter beans ( you can use other type of beans also)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
A small lemon sized ball tamarind
1 tbsp urad dhal
3-4 red chillies
1+1 tsp mustard
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp oil
- Boil the chopped vegetables with turmeric and required salt. Do not overcook.The vegetables must be firm.Alternatively you can pressure cook them for 1-2 whistles.In case you are using ladies finger in the recipe, sauté it in oil and keep aside.
- Extract 1 cup of juice from the tamarind.
- Dry roast the urad dhal and grind it into powder.
- Dry roast fenugreek,cumin,1 tsp mustard together.Next roast the red chillies with little bit of oil. Grind the redchillies,roasted spices along with 1 tsp mustard and 1/2 tsp pepper to a smooth paste.
- In a pan add all the boiled vegetables,sauteed ladies finger ,tamarind extract and the ground paste. Add 1/2 a cup of water and required salt and allow it to boil.Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally add the urad dhal powder and mix well.The consistency should be like that of a thick gravy.
- Do the tempering with mustard,urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Serve hot with white rice and rasam.