Ulundham podi is a staple at our home.It has versatile uses.It is simple to prepare and comes handy in many situations.I am sending this as an entry to ‘Back to basics 2‘ event hosted by Aqua and originally started by Jaya Wagle.
Uluntham Podi/Urad Dhal Powder
1 cup whole urad dhal (white)
salt as required
Dry roast urad dhal in the pan till you get a nice aroma.It will be light brown in color by this time.Cool it and grind into a coarse powder.
Uses of uluntham podi:
- It can eaten with hot rice and ghee/gingelly oil.
- It can eaten as an alternative to idly milagai podi. When I was suffering from gastritis, my mother used to prepare this for me.It would satisfy my craving for podi.My mother also prepares this for my grandmother who is not able to tolerate hot and spicy foods.
- It can be used as an binding agent in several dishes like pirattal.
- It can be used to spice up puli kuzhambu/vatha kuzhambu.Add a teaspoon of uluntham podi before you remove the kuzhambu from stove and taste the difference.
- It can be used as an alternative to shredded coconut in vegetable poriyals, especially bittergourd poriyal, brinjal poriyal etc.When we use coconut the poriyal might get spoiled soon, but not with uluntham podi.
- 2-3 flakes of garlic and 1 red chilly/4-5 pepper corns added and ground gives a different flavour to uluntham podi.
- Alternatively whole black urad dhal can be used, which is more nutritious than white urad dhal.
- In south indian villages, when a girl attains puberty she is given a lot of urad dhal based foods such as uluntham kali, uluntham kanji etc.Urad dhal is supposed to increse the density of ( pelvic ) bones, strengthen the uterus and in general prepare the young girl to face her womanhood.Omit the salt and add sugar to the urad dhal powder. Add hot ghee and make urad dhal laddoos ( like my mom did ), which make a nutritious snack for teenage girls.This is a simple way add urad dhal to the diet of teenage girls.
If anyone else knows some other uses of urad dhal powder,please feel free to add it in the comments section.