This is a special recipe of my MIL, which she makes on Thai Pongal day. It is very different from the regular Sakkara Pongal. Raw rice is cooked in milk to which kalkandu is added to get white, creamy and tasty Kalkandu Pongal. Enjoy ….
Posting this recipe for Let’s cook #11-Rice event hosted by Radhika of Tickling Palates.
Also posting this recipe for ABC series : Desserts event hosted by Ramya of Ramya’s recipe.
2 cups raw rice
4 tsp split moong dhal
3 cups milk
2 cups water
2 cups diamond kalkandu ( sugar candy )
3 pods cardamom
2 tsp ghee
10 no. cashews
Few raisins ( optional )
- Clean and wash the rice and dhal.
- In a heavy bottom pan pour 2 cups of boiled milk and 2 cups of water. When it boils add the rice and dhal.
- Keep the flame in sim mode and allow the rice and dhal to cook. Add the rest of the milk little by little as the rice gets cooked.
- Keep stirring intermittently to avoid burning at the bottom. Cook till the rice becomes well cooked and creamy. This will take 30 to 40 minutes.
- Now add the kalkandu and cardamom powder. Let the kalkandu melt and merge with the rice.
- Garnish with cashews and raisins fried in ghee. Hot or cold,Tastes good either way.