This is a very easy recipe which I learnt from my mother. This aval payasam is given as prasadam in some guruvayoorappan temples. If you have the ingredients ready, it can be made in a jiffy.
Posting this recipe for Any one can cook series hosted by Ayeesha of Tasteofpearlcity.
3/4 cup Aval/poha/beaten rice
1 cup sugar
3 tsp+2 tsp ghee
10 no. cashews
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Run the aval in a mixie for few seconds, so that the flakes are little bit broken. (This step is optional . You can use whole aval also.)
- In a pan add 3 tsp ghee. After it gets heated, fry the aval well. This step is important, because it gives this payasam its special flavour.
- Add 1/2 cup milk to the fried aval and let it cook on a low flame for few minutes. The aval will absorb the milk and become soft. Dont let it become too mushy.
- Now add rest of the milk , sugar and cardamom powder. Simmer it for few minutes and switch of the stove.
- In another pan heat 2 tsp of ghee, fry the cashews to golden brown and add to the payasam. Tasty aval payasam is ready.
You can add few spoons of condensed milk to the payasam to enhance the taste.
Alternatively the milk can be reduced to 2/3 its original quantity before adding to aval.