I learnt this recipe from my dad. Didn’t know from whom he learned this. It is a simple and tasty dish. We used to make this in mango season. But nowadays most of the vegetables are available in supermarkets through out the year. The hybrid type of mango is preferred ( ottu mangai/kili mooku mangai ).
Posting this recipe for Rice Recipes event hosted by Sameena Prathap of My Culinary Creations.
1 1/2 cup raw rice
1 medium size raw mango
salt as required
1 tsp gingelly oil
3 tsp oil
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 green chilly cut into small pieces
1 red chilly broken into pieces
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp urad dhal
2 tsp bengal gram
a pinch of asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves
- Cook rice with 3 cups water.
- Mix a tsp of gingelly oil with the cooked rice and spread on a large plate to cool.
- Grate the mango and keep aside.
- In a pan heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dhal and hing. Next add the chillies, gram dhal and curry leaves.
- Now add the grated mango and turmeric powder and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add this mix to the cooled rice and mix thoroughly.
- Tasty mango rice is ready.Have it with your choice of papad.
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!