Yummy Eggless Chocolate Cake – made in pressure cooker
The first time I made a cake was last september for my husband’s ( then fiancee ) birthday.Since I didnt have an oven, I googled for some pressure cooker recipes and finally made a chocolate cake. It came out nicely. This year I wanted to improvise and did some icing on the cake and made some other modifications from the original recipe. Well, I bettered myself. The cake came out excellently and the look on hubby dear’s face when I surprised him with the cake was priceless. The writing on the icing was a little clumsy since it was my first time. But we forgot about it after tasting the cake.
Yummy Eggless Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups refined flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp cocoa powder
a pinch of salt
3/4 cup sugar
50 ml refined oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
handful of raisins
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp condensed milk ( optional )
For the icing:
50 gms butter
50 gms sugar
2 tsp cocoa powder
- Sieve together refined flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and keep aside.
- Powder the sugar finely in a mixer and keep aside.
- In a vessel mix together refined oil, butter and powdered sugar and beat well.To this add the sieved flour mixture and mix well.Add the raisins and condensed milk and mix again.To this add the milk little by little to adjust the batter to a pouring consistency.Now the cake batter is ready.
- Take a pressure cooker ( minimum 3 litres ) and add water to at least 1 inch.Now keep a stand inside the cooker to hold the cake vessel. ( This could be a small bowl or vessel with a flat base.I place a heavy stone inside the holding vessel to prevent it from shaking when the water boils.If the holding vessel shakes it will disturb the shape of the cake. )
- Now grease a round vessel ( so that you get a round cake ) with 1/2 tsp of refined oil and dust the surface with refined flour. Now pour the cake batter inside the greased vessel and place it above the holding vessel. ( Select the cake vessel in such a way that the batter fills half the vessel and not more. We need space for the cake to rise )
- Close the lid of the cooker and place it on medium flame on stove top without the weight.Allow the cake to steam for 30 minutes.Now open the cooker and allow it to steam without lid for 5 minutes.Now insert a knife to check.The knife should not stick to the cake.If it sticks steam for some more time. Yummy chocolate cake is ready.
Icing method :
- For white icing mix equal parts of powdered sugar and butter .
- For chocolate icing mix cocoa powder to the butter – powdered sugar mixture.
- I used a knife to apply chocolate icing on top and white icing on the sides.Then I filled white icing in a polythene cone for the writing.